|Collection||J.O. Stickley Collection|
|Scope & Content||
James Otis (J. O.) Stickley was born on Sept. 2, 1869, at Cross Keys, to Phineas and Mary Bowman Stickley. After attending schools at Cross Keys and Port Republic, Stickley became a traveling salesman. He moved to Harrisonburg in 1905 and worked as an agent for Standard Oil Co. for eight years. In 1914, he became general manager of a farm implement business known as W. H. Cunningham & Co. (formerly known as J. N. Garber & Co.). Ownership gradually transferred to the Stickley and Ewing families, and on Feb. 1, 1928, it was chartered as J. O. Stickley and Son, Inc. See Folder 7 for more company history.
Stickley served on the Harrisonburg City Council for twenty-two years. He helped found The National Bank of Harrisonburg, sat on the original board of directors and served as its president from 1940 until his death. Beginning in 1899, he served as president of the Rockingham & Cross Keys Mutual Fire Insurance Company. In 1944, he was elected to the Virginia House of Delegates and served until his death on Feb. 12, 1952, at Rockingham Memorial Hospital. He is buried in Woodbine Cemetery.
Daniel C. Stickley, Sr., the son of J. O. and Roberta Turner Tyler Stickley, was born on June 20, 1905. He succeeded his father as president of J. O. Stickley & Son, Inc. Like his father, he was heavily involved in civic matters and served as president of Valley National Bank and the Rockingham Mutual Insurance Co. He died May 4, 1995, at Sunnyside Presbyterian Home.
The donor, Daniel C. Stickley, Jr., succeeded his father as president of the family business.
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
The J. O. Stickley Collection consists of sales books, photographs, clippings, reports, and other miscellaneous items documenting the Stickley's business and their involvement in local financial institutions. The collection is arranged into fifteen folders. The Miscellaneous Documents folder contains lists of tractor owners in Rockingham, Page, and Shenandoah Counties, between 1929 and 1945, as well as
a photo: 'Christmas Party 1990', press release June 6, 1996, advertising pamphlet, newspaper clippings, and 1988 dealer profile pamphlet.
Of particular interest are the company's Sales Books dating from 1912 (when it operated as J. N. Garber & Co.) to 1960. Each book is arranged chronologically and by the type of item sold (i.e., buggies, combines,
corn planters, disk harrows, manure spreaders, rakes, etc.); the buyer, date of sale, price, and item description also are listed.
Stickley Printed Material consists of trade publications in which the Stickley company was featured or mentioned, and trade advertisements. Photocopied Print Material contains advertisements for the Stickley company as well as a clear photocopy of Vol. 1, No. 1 (Spring 1934) Farm Equipment News, published by J. O. Stickley and Son, Inc. [The original should not be used, and is in a separate folder.] Photocopied photographs are 8"x11" images that have been scanned and are part of the HRHS photograph collection; the image numbers are listed. The folder of Financial Reports contains published bank reports and stockholders' reports of Harrisonburg and Timberville banks in which the Stickleys were involved. Oversized items such as a 1929 promotional calendar, a 1963 newspaper advertisement, two plexiglas manufacturer's signs, and a poster are housed separately with other oversized items.
Folder 1: Stickley Printed Material, 1936-1978 (6 items)
Folder 2: Photocopied Print Material, 1910-1978 (6 items)
Folder 3: Original issue, Farm Equipment News Vol. 1, No. 1, (Spring 1934), Use photocopy instead.
Folder 4: Photocopied Photographs, n.d. (8 items)
1. #3284 J. O. Stickley store and Model A pickup
2. #1516 J. O. Stickley store photo-2 cars in front
3. #1521 Interior of J. O. Stickley store
4. #1517 Tractors
5. #1520 "Square dancing tractors"
6. #1518 Installing dome-dome on ground
7. #1519 Installing dome-dome lifted
8.[none] small photocopies of dome images
Folder 5: Financial Reports, 1942-1974 (10 items)
Folder 6: Oversized items, 1929-1963 (4 items)
Ford-New Holland plexiglas sign
McCormick-Deering Farmall plexiglas sign
"Ford Agricultural Tractors through the Years" poster
Daily News-Record, p. 12, Jan. 23, 1963, full-page advertisement
J. O. Stickley and Son, Inc., 1929 promotional calendar
Folder 7: J. O. Stickley & Son, Inc. History, by Dan Stickley, Jr.
Folder 8: Miscellaneous Documents (7 items) + (5 items)
Includes lists (5) of tractor owners and the brands of tractors they owned in Rockingham, Shenandoah, and Page Counties (some listings for Hardy Co., W.Va.), c. 1929-1945
Photo- 'Christmas Party 1990', Press release June 6, 1996 (2 pages), Advertising pamphlet (2 copies), Newspaper Clippings (3), 1988 Print out dealer profile (8 pages).
Folders 9-14: Sales Books, 1912-1960
Sales Book 1, 1912-1927
Sales Book 2, 1928-1937
Sales Book 3, 1938-1944
Sales Book 4, 1945-1950
Sales Book 5, 1951-1955
Sales Book 6, 1956-1960
Folder 15: 14 x 8 ½ Minute Book of J.N. Garber Inc., succeeded by W.H. Cunningham and Co., succeeded by J.O. Stickley Sons Inc.
|Title||J.O. Stickley Collection|