|Collection||Kirby S. "Tommy" Bassford Collection|
|Scope & Content||
Tommy Bassford was born in Harrisonburg in 1868 and always had an interest in local history. He was an accomplished musician and was active in various bands during this lifetime. Upon the opening of the New Virginia Theatre in 1913, Tommy became a member of the pit orchestra and played for night shows until 1926. In 1927 he became a member of the Harrisonburg Municipal Band. Mr. Bassford is best remembered for writing and recording local history as handed down by the "old-timers". He died in 1953 and is buried in Woodbine cemetery.
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This is a collection of the historical books by Kirby S. "Tommy" Bassford.
-Index to Historical Books by Kirby S. "Tommy" Bassford, 2000
-Sketches of Harrisonburg, 1840-1940
-Sketches of Harrisonburg Schools and Firemen's Organizations, 1833-1942 (donated by Peggy Phalen Colangelo)
-Landmarks and Personages of Old Harrisonburg, 1944
-The Evolution of Harrisonburg, 1780-1945, donated by Seymour Paul
-Railroads of the Shenandoah Valley; "The Old Church on the Hill"; The Churches of Harrisonburg, 1946 (copy #1 donated by Jean F. Wine, copy #2 donated by Blessed Sacrament Church)
-History of the Telephone in Harrisonburg and Rockingham County, date unavailable (typed copy)
|Title||Kirby S. "Tommy" Bassford Collection|