Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number HRHS-134
Collection State Teachers College Collection
Object Name Collection
Scope & Content BIOGRAPHICAL NOTE:
Founded in 1908 as a women's college, the State Teachers College (James Madison University) was established by the Virginia General Assembly. It was originally called The State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg. In 1914, the name of the university was changed to the State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg. At first, academic offerings included only today's equivalent of technical training or junior college courses; however authorization to award bachelor's degrees was granted in 1916. During this initial period of development, the campus plan was established and six buildings were constructed.

The university became the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg in 1924 and continued under that name until 1938, when it was named Madison College in honor of James Madison, the fourth President of the United States. In 1976, the university's name was changed to James Madison University.

SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains miscellaneous items relating to State Teachers College in Harrisonburg, VA. from 1928 to 1931.

COLLECTION INVENTORY:
Postcard, Maury Science Hall
Picture booklet "State Normal School"
Commencement Program, 1928.
Commencement program, 1929 (2).
Program, Smallman A Cappella Choir, 1929.
Play Program, 1928.
Play Program, 1929.
Program, Tree Planting, 1929.
Program, May Day Festival, 1929.
Student Handbook, 1930-1931



Title State Teachers College Collection