|Collection||Purcell Park Collection|
|Scope & Content||
Purcell Park opened as Fairview Community Playground in 1951 on land owned by Edward Purcell. In June, 1954 Edward Purcell sold his land to the City of Harrisonburg for $1, but only as long as the land was used as a playground and public recreation area. From this point forward the land was known as Purcell Park.
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains information concerning the formation of Purcell Park in Harrisonburg, VA.
-Correspondence pertaining to the 1951 opening of Fairview Community Playground
-Various photos of 1951 community picnic
-Notices of annual community picnics, 1952, 1953
-Copy of deed dated June 21, 1954 showing land donated to the City of Harrisonburg from Edward S. Purcell and Kathryn B. Purcell
-Extract taken from the minutes of a meeting of the City Council dated August 10, 1954, naming the park in honor of Edward Purcell
-Typed article about the first community playground dated July 29, 1961
-Various newspaper articles concerning Purcell Park, 1971-2014
|Title||Purcell Park Collection|